Monday, September 17, 2012

The right beginnings

Beginnings and endings.

Most of the time one chooses their beginnings:

  • Taking a semester off of school
  • Starting the diet on Monday
  • Saying "yes" to love
  • When to have a baby
However, endings often come abruptly with a mix of emotions:
  • Death
  • Graduation
  • Employment termination
  • The end of vacations
Looking at my past post's one of my more recent ones was talking about for the past 10+ years I have been seeing weight accumulate onto my body and wishing it away. I would start new programs, and would do GREAT for a week or so, but nothing ever stuck, so time and time again I would feel those feelings of failure, I would see it painted on the faces of those that loved me. After seeing the failing I would take the extreme measure and use food as my comfort (just what I DON'T want to do), and I would grow and grow, as if I were a chia pet! 

This weighting game is a journey. It requires TONS of research, commitment, openness, patience, and determination. It is HARD. It is the hardest thing I have ever done, but now I feel so much calmer about it. Previously, food would be on my mind 24/7. I would think about it as if it were the elephant in the room. I would give in without a second thought. Now I feel like decisions regarding food choices and being active are so second nature that I no longer think about it. However, this did not come without come begging and pleading with my husband because the difference now is that I have a teammate. I have someone on my side, someone who can see my challenges, and who is understanding my failures. 

Taking this journey by yourself can be overwhelming all the information you find out about yourself. It can be lonely because there isn't someone out there that can relate on that intimate level with you. They understand and feel bad that you failed, but you are the only one that understands the importance of the failure, and the snowball that you just created. Research out there states to find  gym buddy, to find someone to work with you, and learning from 10+ years of experience I can't agree more. He pushes me to go to the gym together, he is there to comfort my feelings of looking like a fat loser lifting weights, he is there to tell me no and make me make dinner. 

I have never felt this calm and second natured about anything in my entire life. Lets see where this takes us!



No comments:

Post a Comment